Masterclass Session by Dr Baby Sreeram
Dr Baby Sreeram teaches some exquisite masterpieces of Maharaja Swati Tirunal in this 2 day interactive masterclass session. Some of the rare masterpieces on Devi taught here are rich in terms of lyrical beauty and musicality.
Compositions covered in this masterclass session are:
1. Santatam Bhajaamiha- Bilahari
2. Devi Jagajjanani - Shankarabharanam
3. Mamava Jagadeeshwara - Saraswati Manohari
4. Paahi Sarasanabha - Saveri
5. Sahasika Dhanujahara - Shuddha Saveri
6. Aliveni - Kuranji
7. Andholika vahane - Anandabhairavi
Maharaja Swati Tirunal uses interesting and scholarly adjectives to describe the beauty of Devi in these compositions. He refers to Her as Aliveni, Jagat janani , Karunaamayi etc. Such compositions enhance a musician's creativity and vocabulary.
Notations for the compositions taught in the masterclass session are available in the e-book Maharaja Swati Tirunal's Compositions
These rare masterpieces are an excellent addition to the repertoire of Carnatic Music.